Wednesday 11 November 2009

Sofa v Treadmill


Motivational tip no. 233

 

Visualise yourself having done whatever it is that you require motivation for.

 

Example

I use this quite often for evening workouts.

 

The scenario

My husband is back from work, the kids are in bed, the house is warm and the wine is open. Why on earth would I want to leave this idyllic environment to face the freezing evening night to go and sweat it out for an hour?

 

The visualisation

I imagine how I will feel in an hour when I come back having completed the work out. My husband will still be there, the wine will still be there, the kids will still be asleep and I will feel amazing. I put on hold all my treats by just one hour and it will be worth every second. I will be much more relaxed with my husband and I will feel so much better about myself. The alternative, if I chose not to go to the gym and instead stayed in, is to feel guilty, sluggish, not enjoy my food, drink, husband or the warmth of my house so much. The choice is a no brainer…get out there and sweat it out!

 

By projecting myself into the future and imagining how good I will feel, it is normally enough to get me out of the door and once I am there I know I made the right decision. It is just the getting out of the house in the first place that provides a challenge.

 

Each time you make the choice, it becomes easier as you have more feel good feelings to reference. Remember, each time you do it, you are closer to creating a habit and habits are hard to break! 


No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers