So, the sunshine and the spring have finally made a very welcome appearance! How much of a difference do they make to your life and your mood?
I find the sunshine puts a few extra smiles in the world and that can only be a good thing!
My gym membership ended last month and so I have been experiencing the joys of outdoor exercise again for the first time since I was training for the marathon last year (and even then I only did a handful of outdoor runs if I am honest!).
As I was running along the river to Hampton Court yesterday, I compiled a list of pros and cons to my new outdoor cadio v my old friend, the gym….
- Fresh Air
- Lung work out
- Seeing life
- Enjoying the views
- More interesting
- Opportunity to try different routes
- A chance to explore the area
- Inspiration for new places to take the kids
- It’s free
- Endless variety
- Start working out the minute I leave the house, no need for travel
- No smelly people on the treadmill next to me spraying their sweat across
- No need to always have £1 for lockers
- The little bug things that keep flying in my mouth/up my nose
- No trashy TV to watch or BBC news to catch up on or radio to listen to
- Having to take and carry as much water as I’ll need
- Being slightly scared of the woods/river path even though I always go safe routes my imagination does override my common sense on occasions
- It’s not right next to Sainsbury so I can’t link gym/shopping, bike ride home (although this should go under pros too as Sainsbury shopping after a run was dangerous as I would be so hungry, I’d buy way too much!)
- No little digital information provider telling me how far/long/fast I’ve been running
- If I run too far, I’ve still got to get myself home
- Weather dependant
13 v 8
In conclusion, I have found that my new al fresco style exercise is better all round!
Enjoy the sunshine and smiles x