Monday 9 November 2009

Bumpy times

 

I have been thinking about my first pregnancy a lot recently as my friends are starting to have babies. I was one of the first amongst my peers as I became pregnant with my son at the relatively young age of 25. At the time, I did not feel young as, being so in-love, I was ready for whatever commitment our relationship grew into, whenever it happened. Becoming pregnant felt like the most natural thing to do and I didn’t plan or worry too much. I lived my pregnancy in a happy naivety, took just one pregnancy test (as opposed to the 5 tests I took when I was pregnant with my daughter), and just loved every moment.

 

Pregnancy, as long as you and your baby are healthy, can be a blissful time. I don’t think you really realise that a baby comes at the end of the 9 months until you are holding it. You plan, you imagine and you talk endlessly about it but nothing can truly prepare you for the experience of becoming a mother except becoming a mother.

 

As a pregnant lady, you are granted relief from all heavy tasks, you are the centre of attention, you are given seats and glasses water. You feel special and, when you have a bump, you feel visibly special. Yes, you may also feel fat, unattractive, uncomfortable and like everyone around you seems to be enjoying a few too many glasses of wine, but when your baby gives you a little kick, that can melt away in an instant.

 

You have instant conversation starters and lots to chat about with everyone. People can’t wait to give you advice and they want to hear all the details of what you are experiencing. You are instantly more approachable and seem softer as a human. I worked front of house on reception during my pregnancy and everyone from deliverymen to the most hard nosed manager were lovely to me. I’d also get first pick of the Friday cakes or left over donuts which was a bonus!

 

At the front of your mind throughout those precious months is your baby. Whatever you eat or touch you relate back to your baby. Whenever you move, lift or manoeuvre, you are thinking about your baby. Life goes on and you work and go out and sleep and eat but when you do each and every one of these things, you are thinking for two.

 

We found out I was pregnant less than 6 weeks before we got married so I was 9 weeks pregnant when I walked up the aisle. I did feel slightly sorry to miss out on the goats cheese starter I had selected, the Pimms on arrival and the wine and champagne but in hindsight, I am so glad I was pregnant as I clearly remember ever second of my wonderful day. I was a calm bride, there were few stresses before the big day as I would not do anything to risk upsetting my baby. I didn’t do a crazy pre - wedding diet so I looked healthy and glowing and with growing maturity, I am happier and more grateful for this.

 

I avoided the potential post - wedding blues as two days into being Mr and Mrs we had our first scan and saw the little guy and his pumping heart. Nothing could be any shade of blue after that.

 

So, as my friends glow with pride, stroke their bumps and talk about the future that awaits them, I smile and although part of me wishes that I too could be experiencing the miracle of growing the life of a baby again, I know that the best is yet to come for them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers