Thursday 19 November 2009

Jumping Beans






Yesterday, on a trip to the Science museum with the kids, I had the opportunity to put many of my ‘keeping calm under pressure’ exercises into practice.

 

This is what happened -

 

  1. My daughter was in the buggy and my son was walking. I had planned to meet my friends at 1.30pm and I allowed an hour and a half for what was meant to be a one hour journey. Well done me.
  2. My Route was Kingston to Wimbledon on the over ground and then District Line to South Kensington
  3. My District line train stopped 2 stops early of South Kensington at Earls Court
  4. I got off to wait for the next train that did go to South Kensington but couldn’t get on as it was totally jam packed and Earls Court was swarming with people so I waited and then jumped on the next empty one
  5. Which was not going to South Kensington after all but High Street Kensington which is why it was empty
  6. I got off at High St Kensington and travelled up one lot of steps and down the other to get on the Circle line to South Kensington
  7. The Circle line train miraculously turned into a District line train and so it went back to Earls Court
  8. I travelled up one set of steps and down the other to get back to the District line platform. I am now exactly where I had been at Stage 2. Except now it was 40 minutes later and I was officially late
  9. I waited for a District line train to take me to South Kensington where we hit more stairs to go up
  10. I got to the Science museum (up more stairs) at 2pm.
  11. We had a gorgeous day with the kids – they behaved impeccably, had a great time with their friends and I with mine; we explored space, played in the basement, built towers and splashed in the water. I love the Science Museum.
  12. On exiting the museum, the buggy broke. Collapsed. The front bit popped out and the frame lost a VIB (very important bolt), which made the two bits that hold it up, not hold it up any more.
  13. I fixed it DIY style using the belt from my leather jacket.
  14. I arrived at South Kensington station, all the time singing a silent prayer to the leather strap to stay strapped
  15. The District line no longer went to Wimbledon due to something I couldn’t catch over the noise of the rush hour thundering closer, being on the line at Putney Bridge
  16. But one did go to Richmond which is close enough and that’s where we headed
  17. From where we got a bus home

 

 

So what did I learn?

 

  1. The District line and Circle line are two of the most confusing, frustrating and slow lines on the London underground
  2. In the year since I left London, I have become completely inept at using the London underground and I have become the suburban stereotype
  3. After travelling miles to avoid them in the past, I have faced my nemesis, stairs, head on and on and on. They are OK, if a little bumpy.
  4. By making ‘getting lost’ into an adventure, it is possible to keep a three year and two year old amused for much longer than you might think.
  5. As does saying ‘Silly Billy Mummy’ and allowing them to chant the same thing
  6. The belt from my leather jacket is more than just a pretty thing
  7. Always carry string or similar tying - up type stuff
  8. Good friends will understand as long as you give an apology, big smile and hug upon late arrival
  9. People respond much better to you if you are laughing or relaxed than if you look like a stressed out mum – they don’t know what has happened in the last half hour and you can’t expect them to
  10. Be flexible. If there is an alternative route, be open to it.
  11. My kids are exceptionally patient and understanding under pressure
  12. Jumping beans from the Science Museum are still as much fun as they were when I was little

 

 

 

So, what exercises did I do during this experience to reduce the stress and pressure of it?

 

1)    Will this matter in 1 hour? 1 day? 1 week?  No. Ok, so don’t stress about it now

2)    Is there a funny side to this? What would your husband/best friend/mum say when you tell them the story? Imagine their faces now and imagine you telling the story.

3)    Imagine you are with a friend who is experiencing the same thing. How would you want her to react? How do you think she would handle this? Try and be that person.

4)    What will stressing achieve here? Will you be able to change the situation? If not, don’t waste the energy being stressed. Also, a stressed mind is not a clear one so calm down before moving on.

5)    Accept that this is a stressful situation but you are capable of handling it. How proud will you be of yourself to rise above it?

6)    Smile. Pretend that you are OK and you will be a lot closer than if you scowl.

7)    Sing a song that makes you or the kids happy.

8)    Ask the kids what they think of what is happening. Their perspective is bound to make you smile.

9)    Is there anyway to achieve damage limitation? Send a text explaining what has happened to take the pressure off and buy a bit of time. If you are late, letting someone know as soon as possible is always preferable to just leaving them hanging and giving them time to get wound up.

10) Perspective is all - important. You are having trouble getting from A-B and will be a bit late to meet a friend. How much a big deal is that really? In the great scheme of life, love and war, does this even register on the radar? Come on, people deal with way more than this on a daily basis. 


No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers