Friday 20 November 2009

64th Time Lucky


Confession time.

I have no core stability. Worse. I have no core stability and despite many attempts, I cannot find the inner strength to improve it. But, my mantra of never giving up holds strong here. First, a bit of back-story to my core stability and me. Or lack of it.

 

I hardly managed much more than a sit up before the age of 28.

 

I had three complementary personal training sessions when I joined my gym. I used one for stretches, one for running advice and one for core stability. The first two I used the advice every day thereafter, the third left me in pain for a week and I never put to use the advice except for the sit-ups, which I grudgingly do after my cardio.

 

A few months later, I was offered a further complementary personal training session and so, with the hope of improving on last time, I asked for the session to be dedicated to core stability again. I kept up the exercises for two weeks then, retaining only a few Swiss ball exercises to add to my sit-ups, I fell back into my cardio habits.

 

You see, I love cardio. My brain loves it to. And my mind. And my body most of all. I love the anticipation before, the competition to beat my last session during and the sweaty, endorphin high at the end. You can’t fake cardio so I can’t fool myself. The digits say it all – the time, the distance, the calories burned. I can see for how long and how far and much I am putting into this and getting out of it. It offers real results and it appeals to my orderly nature as, if I’m struggling, I can concentrate on the time panel reaching the next set of 10 minutes, or the calories rounding up to a nice number or reaching another kilometre. If I need a boost, I can scan the radio channels and find an inspiring tune. If I am having a long distance run, I can watch an episode of something to take my mind off the length of time I am running. I can switch off for a few kilometres if I want and just let my mind wander into nowhere, just enjoying the freedom.

 

I have tried Pilates DVD’s, I have tried to follow the exercises I have been given when I am working alone in the gym but I cannot seem to find the resolve to hold the stretches or lifts for the full time unless I have someone watching me, counting and encouraging me. If I count myself, I count to 60 really, really fast pretending that it’s the right speed – I can’t do that on the treadmill as it counts for me. If I try to do a plank alone, I convince myself that 20 seconds is good as I am building up to the suggested 60 seconds when I know full well that under the eye of the trainer, I would never do less than a full minute.

 

I have nearly gone to classes but I shy away from them as a rule especially anything requiring coordination. I have done aqua fit but only because 60% of me is under water and cannot confuse fellow splashers when I get the moves mixed up. I am always a bit concerned that everyone knows what they’re doing apart from me and there are only a few beginners’ classes, which haven’t fitted in with my availability. Or that is my excuse.

 

So, enough excuses now. A few weeks ago I decided to try again. I signed up to a beginner Pilates course at my gym, which is apparently designed for people just like me. There was a big, long waiting list but I finally got the call and it starts at 9am on Saturday morning. It fits in to my life and it lasts 5 weeks so I am sure to have developed a Pilate habit by the end of it. I have a good feeling about this one. Watch out inadequate core stability, I’m gonna get you this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers