Wednesday 10 February 2010

Pilate Revisited

I discussed my lack of core stability in my ‘64th Time Lucky' post and so I thought I should revisit my previous procrastination and update on my progress.

 

I completed the Pilates course and left with new knowledge, feeling fantastic despite suffering more illnesses during the 5 weeks I had been learning than ever before (this was purely coincidence!) and ready to put it all to good use.

 

I use a lot of the techniques most days. I use some of the exercises in the gym during my mat work and others just at home when I need to relax or stretch particular muscles. One move I was shown helps a part of my back that I had never been able to reach before. (cue respectively toned down - this was a civilised Pilates class with dimmed light and mood music playing after all  -  ‘When Harry met Sally’ moment)

 

I use the location of the correct layer muscles technique when I do weight work, when I do sit ups and sometimes just when I am walking along.

 

All good so far. I have not been to a Pilates class itself since as the one led by my original teacher is on a Saturday morning and so far I haven’t got myself up and out in time…my husband always offers a lie in to me on a weekend morning if we do not have guests and I find it impossible not to simply nod in submission and turn around back up to bed to snuggle under my warm duvet and…zzzzzzz!

 

I am so glad to have done the course and there is a move, I cannot remember the name of, where you work your way down to touching your toes feeling every vertebra and stretching out and this is how I start and finish every day. I still rate cardio higher for my own needs as it works me in a way I respond to in reducing stress and feeling on top. I would leave the Pilates class feeling relaxed but restless and I still needed to work up a sweat.

 

I think when I have extra time to fit in more than the minimum number of workouts that I need a week, I will introduce a Pilates class and until then I will practice it daily at home. My Pilates DVD now finally makes sense and I know what feels right so this will keep me going until then! 

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers